Monday, February 27, 2012

Family and Good Food

Food is a wonderful thing.  It's something that brings us together as friends and family.  Yesterday I gathered with my cousins for a nice family dinner.  The lasts two times we've done family dinner, they've done the cooking.  This time I figured since I was all settled in my home, I'd do the cooking.  I might have gotten a little ambitious with my meal because I didn't have much prep time between church and dinner time.  That is the reason there aren't any finished product pictures.  I did manage to snap some in progress photos, so you'll just have to imagine what the finished products looked like.  


The main course was a pork tenderloin that I seasoned with salt, pepper, shallots, garlic, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, and fresh oregano.  I then wrapped the tenderloin in pancetta, which is similar to bacon, but not smoked.  All of the herbs on the tenderloin gave it a great flavor.  





I also made an apple compote that consisted of apple cider, orange zest, cinnamon and cloves.  I wish that I had take the time to thicken the sauce a little bit more, but the flavor of it went great with the pork.  




I made two side dishes to go with the pork: mashed potatoes (with some potatoes from my dad's garden) and some super tasty honey lemon glazed carrots.  I used baby carrots and cut off the tops.  I steamed the carrots in a little water with honey, lemon zest, a little butter and salt.  I brought them to a boil, with the pan slightly covered, and cooked them until I could pierce them with a fork.  Once they were fork tender, I removed the lid and continued to allow them to boil until all the liquid evaporated off and the carrots started to caramelize.  This was a simple and easy dish with great flavor. 



The meal was finished of with a FABULOUS dessert made by my cousin Brian's wife, Anne.  She made a trifle/parfait with Oreos, brownies, chocolate pudding and whipped cream.  Super yummy!!!  Anne is an AMAZING chef!  She's just started her own fantastic blog, check out her excellent recipes.  


More cooking to come!  Happy Cooking and Enjoy a meal your loved ones!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Cousin! As a consumer of the meal you just described I must say yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete