Monday, January 2, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie

After making the fabulous lemon curd, I had been craving it again.  I decided to attempt my first lemon meringue pie.  I've never really been a huge meringue fan.  I've always felt that it was really sweet, but I figured this would be a good opportunity to use my lovely mixer again.  It turned out ok.  I definitely need to work on perfecting it.  The flavor was great and surprisingly the meringue wasn't very sweet.  



I'm not sure if I over baked it or under baked it, but the meringue separated from the crust after cooling and the filling became watery as it cooled as well.  It looked really nice to start, but now a few days later it's not so pretty.  Is there anyone that is experienced with meringue pies that can give me some pointers on how to keep the meringue from separating from the crust and how to eliminate the excess liquid?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Happy New Year and Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

  1. Diana makes a great lemon meringue pie, you should ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know they don't keep well after the first day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the meringue, you need to be sure to seal it to the crust when you put it on. That way, it won't shrink. I have a no-fail lemon meringue pie on my blog that has worked every time if you want to check it out. Here's the link - http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/09/lemon-meringue-pie-and-accomplishment.html.

    ReplyDelete